My fiance and I picked up a few items from the grocery store one day, not intentionally meaning to combine them together for a tasty meal. We enjoy cooking together with a little friendly competition, making the meal as a whole, a very pleasant surprise.
Tofu, Kale, and Black Rice. All distinctive flavors, packed with nutrients. This dish was tackled in two parts – Him: Black Rice and veggie stirfry, Her: Tofu & Kale. You will find the savory details, to this nutrient packed meal in what’s to come!
- Half a block of packaged medium firmness Tofu
- 3-5 leaves of fresh kale
- 6-10 white mushrooms
- 4 cloves garlic
- Basil leaves
- 1 medium vine ripened tomato
- 1/4 sweet or yellow onion
- 2 cups of black rice
- 2 + 1/2 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon of organic corn starch
- 3/4 teaspoon of soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of pad thai paste
- 1/2 teaspoon cold rice wine vinegar
- Put black rice and water into boiling pan, and turn heat very low, to cook slowly for about 35 minutes time – This should be enough time to get your other items into prep. The water should be about half an inch above the rice. Put a lid to close the boiling rice.
- Chop onion into slivers, mince garlic, slice mushrooms, cut kale leaves to bite size pieces – set all aside.
- Take about 3-4 paper towels and pat down firmly on all sides of the block of tofu. Cut into about half inch thick slices, then cut those into 4 squares or rectangles, and pat down again, let sit on wood or bamboo chopping block for 10-15 minutes to absorb any left moisture.
- While you heat up the avocado oil on your sautee pan, mix rice wine vinegar (cold), pad thai paste, soy sauce, salt. After it’s become more of a liquid consistency than pasty, add the corn starch and stir until the consistency is just slightly thicker and smooth. Set aside.
- When oil is hot on low to medium heat, brown minced garlic before laying down tofu pieces close proximity to each other, add onion slices around the tofu pieces – imagine tofu pieces in the center, and onion on outer rim of the pan. Let tofu and onions simmer for about 1-2 minutes on each side, until they are golden brown and crisp.
- Once you’ve flipped the tofu to the other side to cook and stirred the onions around, cut your tomato into chunks, and add them and the mushroom into the stir fry.
- When your tofu has been browned on both sides, stir all ingredients to simmer for about 15 seconds, and add the chopped kale, lastly add your sauce mix. Stir until tofu and veggies absorb the liquid, usually around 10 seconds and turn heat off, remove pan from heat. If you would like to garnish, cut fresh basil and top your dish off.
- Enjoy, and EAT!
Like, and Share this recipe with your family and friends!
- Sauteed Vegetable Napoleon with Black Rice (breatheeatlive.com)
- Tofu & Veggie StirFry (breatheeatlive.com)