It’s almost midnight, my little man is knocked out asleep with his little chubby cheeks pressed up against the pillows…He looks so peaceful and well, tired! These days, he’s taking 2-3 one-hour naps and sleeps through the night with exception to his feedings – He is breast-fed and wakes up ever so often to eat. Any way, today I’m going to give you guys a little bit of an insider view of my everyday life!
What does a stay-home-mother like myself DO everyday? In a nutshell:
- Feed baby (a lot): Heru breast-feeds and is now eating solid snacks throughout the day! He’s a pretty easy baby when it comes to eating – He is NOT afraid to let you know when he’s hungry.
- Change baby’s dirty diapers (3-5 per day): Mostly pee diapers, one poopy one a day. Again, I find that this is pretty easy! He has the occasional blowout once or twice a month which is very manageable.
- Play with baby, laugh with baby, watch baby sleeping because he’s so freakin’ adorable…I want to be around him all of the time! He is my best friend. We watch TV together, read together, nap together, shop together…You get what I mean? When I think about being tired-out by him especially with all of his growth and changes happening, Heru’s father reminds me that he will want to play by himself/with friends and then I’ll complain about missing him – So, I cherish every moment! When I get moody or tired…I eat or drink something that makes me happy!
- Bathe baby: Not much to talk about here…He loves bath time, and so do I because it calms him down for bedtime! I pick his hair out every night, and sometimes twice a day too. He’s got a little afro and if I don’t pick it out, it gets all tangly and I don’t want to hurt his little head by getting knots out!
- Tidy up the house of clutter: Dirty clothes, baby toys, blankets and pillows for baby, parents’ bed, random trash that accumulates from preparing food, etc. Dishes are washed every night – Yes, I’m still one of those people who handwash their dishes.
- Pick one place to really CLEAN (like the kitchen, bathroom, etc.): Honestly, I definitely COULD thoroughly clean every part of the house in a day’s time, but at this point in my mommy journey, entrepreneur journey, and so forth – I choose not to. I pick one place to really get in there and CLEAN and keep it just like that – Otherwise, I feel like I’d overwhelm myself.
- Cook breakfast, lunch, dinner (sometimes just two meals a day): These days with a baby on my hip or crawling around trying to get his hands on anything dangerous to play with, I am reduced to cooking meals that are supremely easy to prepare. The oven is my second best friend because it cooks meals fast, clean, and without hassle. Meals usually consist of fresh veggies, protein (fish, shrimp, chicken, and even BACON sometimes!), and grains. Pretty boring right? Wrong – Boring is SO underrated. I freakin’ love it.
- Respond to business emails periodically: If you have not followed me regularly, I’ll let you know that I am a writer. I get paid to manage blogs, create content for websites, manage social media sites, write personal essays/resumes, and more. I check my emails in the morning, afternoon, and at night. It’s a real business and I am a serial entrepreneur!
- Schedule phone conferences if necessary: Throughout my days of responding to business inquiries, I screen and schedule phone conferences with potential business projects. I typically have 1-2 calls every other day.
- Grocery shop (every 2 days or so – We rarely eat out): We really don’t eat a lot, but when you don’t dine out or pick up cheap fast food, you’d be surprised at how much you need to stock your fridge with! Just a preview: We eat fish, shrimp, chicken mainly for our meats. Then, we ALWAYS have fresh vegetables and fruit to juice, smoothie, or snack on. Do you like math? Well, that boils down to 2 adults + 3 meals a day + Fresh juicing 3 times a week + Fresh vegetable and fruit smoothies 3 times a week + hot tea drinkers 3-4 days a week…CHYEA! Lots.of.FOOD. Every time a seasonal fruit is on sale, I go crazy with it. For the longest, every trip to the grocery store I stocked up on 6-12 Ataulfo mangoes every trip! They were 3/$1 so it wasn’t that costly. This Summer season, our fridge is stacked with: Mangoes, pineapples, avocado, peaches…SO, so yummy! When I absolutely am not feeling cooking, I give into ordering pizza or the frozen food aisle – It’s like a little celebration for me every time I do it. No cooking, no cleaning (not really), and a belly full up of something yummy.
- Go for walks with baby & daddy: Okay, so I must admit. I’m not that great at getting my butt up for any kind of workout or recreational activity. I had to be pushed to do it! Thanks to breastfeeding and being pushed to do some kind of working out, I weigh less (and look way healthier) than I did pre-pregnancy! What we usually do is go for a long walk with the baby everyday in the early afternoon or in the evening. It’s so refreshing and relaxing knowing the toxins are leaving my body with that Summer sweat session.
- Do my own little workout of 50 squats and 25 crunches per day (works wonders!): I feel so awesome seeing that my booty is coming back! It’s a more than fair and easy workout. I eat a lot, however I eat a lot more healthier foods too so my workouts don’t have to be so, so intense. Just learning my new groove into loving health and fitness!
- Make a list of goals for each day and gush over my great accomplishments: Dude. Small accomplishments like actually checking things off of my goals list brings such a great feeling already. Big accomplishments like reaching a goal of $ amount that I sign clients on for daily is just as rewarding! If things don’t get checked off, I carry them over or simply let them go. It keeps me honest and keeps me motivated!
So, do you think being a stay-home-mother is as easy as you thought? It’s not easy, it’s not tough, it’s not all-the-time rewarding and lovey-dovey – It’s REAL O-kayyyy?! It can’t be explained in words, but you can read it on my face, in my eyes (opened or closed), you can hear it in my voice, you can see it when my legs aren’t shaved or my eyebrows haven’t been plucked for weeks. If I didn’t respond to a text or email for days on end, I’m sorry – I either forgot or intended to respond and THEN forgot until I remembered to days later!
To be even more transparent – I have never spent one night away from my little guy. I haven’t hired a sitter or even asked grandparents/uncle to babysit for a few hours. It’s just been us three! I am damn proud, you betcha!
Story of my life in the present moment:
- Serial entrepreneur lady (specifically, running my business from the bed and with my laptop)
I’m loving life, even when all I do is complain some days. Everything has been so worth it to be able to share my story everyday. My next few posts will be catching you guys up on some of the places I’ve dined and maybe even some recipes from when I get creative with random things in my pantry/fridge! Tell me about what you want to hear from me – Leave me a message!
If you want to keep up with my daily happening-haps – Follow me on Instagram!